101: what are the different WeChat Official Account types? What are the differences? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each type?
What is WeChat Subscription Account (订阅号)?
- 1 push articles per day
- No push notifications to
user, only a red dot beside thumbnail.
- Piling up in “subscription ghetto”
- Content is searchable on Sogou search engine (搜狗)
- Original content can be certified and re-shared by other accounts with mention to the original publisher
- Revenue from reader “tips” and display ads on articles
What is WeChat Service Account (服务号)?
Content-centric consumer activation and interaction. Limited features, but best content reach
- 4 push articles per month
- Push notifications send to
useras regular chats
- Appears as how regular friend chats display
- Content not searchable on Sogou search engine (搜狗)
- There are more API and JS-SDK access that gives more flexibility to customized development, for example native E-commerce(shops, coupons and loyalty programs) & payments, QR code tracking and follower input processing
What is a WeChat Enterprise Account (“WeChat Work” – 企业号)?
Office automation system
- No limit for push articles
- Push notifications sent to the users as regular chat
- Appears as how regular chats display
- Other than API provided to the service account, there is more office-automation-related API access such as to clock in, and to issue fapiao.
- It’s been gradually updated to a separate application named WeChat Work (but also allowed to connect with Wechat)
More about Entreprise Accounts here: + WeChat Enterprise account: an epic Guide
The type of WeChat Official is defined based on the business goals of your business or brand
- WeChat public accounts: what is the difference between subscription and service accounts? | July 2017 [WalktheChat]
- WeChat Official Account Platform | January 2017 [Grata]
- WeChat: the difference between Subscription and Service brand accounts | August 2014 [eConsultancy]
- Infographic | What are the differences between WeChat’s Service and Subscription Accounts? | April 2014 [Grata]
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to WeChat for Business | 2018 [Dragon Social]
All in one place – essential guides to learn the basics:
FAQ to operate a WeChat Official Account
YES – two ways:
1/ from WeChat Public Account backend: migration feature to change the type of the account
– Subscription Account registered in 2016 or later | account is verified
– WeChat Official Account registered with a Chinese business license/entity
Be careful: upgrading can only be done once
2/ Transfer followers to another WeChat Official Account
Yes from July 2018
The content posted by overseas WeChat Official Account were not accessible to the Chinese mainland.
Learn more about the difference between a LOCAL and OVERSEAS WeChat Official Account here