Before registering a WeChat Official Account, make sure you know the difference between the types of accounts available: WeChat Subscription vs. Service Account
1. How to create a WeChat Official Account: Signup and verification process
Based on incorporation location, the process to set-up/create an official account is different as well as the fees
How to create WeChat Official Account from mainland China – with a Chinese business license
WeChat Official Account registered with a Chinese business license/entity = LOCAL/DOMESTIC WeChat Official Account
The public account is registered via WeChat Open Platform where all WeChat properties (Official Accounts, Mini Programs) of a company are sitting.
How to create your WeChat Official Account with a Mainland China entity
- Select your Account Type
Select the right type of Official Account according to your strategy for this channel
- Create a User Account
Provide an email to which a confirmation email will be sent
- Select Mainland China as your Region
Mainland China region is selected to create local Official Account
- Fill in your Organization Details
Fill in your account type (corporate or personal public account), company name, Business license number and the administrator’s information
- Select Authentication Method
‘WeChat verification’ authentification method is required to get the gold badge on your profile and access to advanced platform features.
- Fill in your Account Profile information
Fill in your account name, short description and the region of activity
Verify your account when ‘WeChat Verification’ method was chosen as your authentication way (see step 5 ☝☝☝☝)
- Add operators
Learn more about how to add operator(s)
- Configure the account
First configurations with built-in features: automatic on-boarding message, contact management, broadcasting message, menu, etc…
- How to Register a WeChat Official Account | February 2018 [Grata]
- Ultimate Guide to WeChat for Business 2019 | January 2019 [rocketbots]
How to create WeChat Official Account from overseas (for example, Malaysia, Hong-Kong, Singapore or Thailand) – with a Foreign business license
WeChat Official Account registered with a Foreign business license = OVERSEAS/GLOBAL (Service) Official Account / 海外特殊认证的国内服务号
- Steps to Register a WeChat Official Account Under an Overseas Business Entity | August 2018 [Chinaskinny]
WeChat Official Account registered by an overseas entity is a Service Official Account. Overseas entities can’t register to open a Subscription Official Account.
2. What are the differences between a LOCAL and OVERSEAS WeChat Official Account?
- WeChat Official Account: LOCAL vs OVERSEAS | March 2019 [Phoceis]
- WeChat Q&A#3: What’s the difference between WeChat Global Account and WeChat China Account? | November 2018 [OctoPlus奥博传媒]
3. Official Account registration fees
Here is a break-down of the cost to set-up and then run a WeChat Official Account
Costs to sign-up to a WeChat Official Account
- Sign-up fee when creating WeChat Official Account: Free (before 300 RMB)
Costs to verify the new created Official Account
WeChat Official Account yearly verification fee:
- LOCAL WeChat Official account: 300 RMB per year (option if WeChat Pay is required)
- OVERSEAS WeChat Official account: 99$ per year
4. FAQ to register an Official Account
Yes, as long as you have the qualified documents prepared, the whole application can be processed via the Internet.
– Chinese business license 营业执照
– Organization certificate 组织机构代码证
– Company’s Chinese landline phone number (may receive a verification call from Tencent)
– A Chinese ID and cell phone number (身份证) of a mainland China citizen with a WeChat Payment account linked to his/her bank card
– Access to a Chinese bank account of the company, including account number, bank name, and bank address.
No, because you will need to fill in a Chinese ID (only mainland China, not including HK, Macao and Taiwan) during the
Official Account ?
Yes, a WFOE business licence certificate is a valid Chinese entity license, but it will take a longer time in the application process.
– 1 to 2 weeks if you are applying with a Chinese business license on the official website directly.
– 1 to 2 months as a China WFOE
Full access to backend basic functions including edit contents and send private messages, but without WeChat payment, which needs to be registered separately.
An enterprise can set up 2 Official Accounts, including subscription account and service accounts. You can apply for more by contacting Tencent and providing the reason why you would need more. Acceptance is not guaranteed.
Yes, as long as it is transferred to another China-based business entity. The dedicated procedure is below (5. How to transfer WeChat Official Account ownership 👇👇👇👇)
Yes – you can open an Official Account with Chinese ID only.
However, Personal Official Account type can only register ‘Subscription’ Official Account.
5. How to transfer WeChat Public Account ownership
Change an Official Account from one entity to another
Change from Personal Official Account (= Official Account registered with Chinese ID) to Business Official Account (= Official Account registered with Chinese business license)
It’s also possible to transfer the ownership of a Personal Official Account with the cooperation of the person behind the ‘Administrator’ role.