Another way to expand your WeChat presence in the online strategy: take part of WeChat Search Engine Results by tapping into the WeChat Search features. Beyond being searchable, it’s equally important to focus the effort on the optimization in the SERP of WeChat which is evolving constantly: WeChat SEO. WeChat keeps improving their search functions to answer users’ behaviours and provide another increasingly relevant channel for brands or products to be discovered. That’s why brands and businesses should understand how WeChat Search Engine work and take action to optimize their presence on it.
1. What is WeChat search? How does it work? Is WeChat turning into a search engine?
You can search for the following main types of content via the WeChat search bar (either the gigantic search bar at the top your WeChat homepage, or under “Discover” tab):
- WeChat moment posts
- WeChat articles published by WeChat Official accounts
- WeChat Official Accounts
- WeChat Mini Programs: homepage and inside pages
- Novels via the Tencent platform
- Music via QQ Music
- Internet content via the Sogou搜狗 search engine (Tencent is an investor)
Search can be filtered deeper with more filtering options:
How it works
Access search from WeChat Homepage
Access search from the ‘Discover’ section
WeChat Search Engine Results
Tips, tactics and best practices to optimize the position in WeChat Search Engine Result
- 3 Ways to Optimize Your Brand’s WeChat SEO | July 2018 [Jing Daily]
- WeChat Search: China’s Next Search Engine to Focus | May 2018 [Westwin]
- What is WeChat Search, how to set it up & why it can kill Baidu | May 2017 [Walkthechat]
2. WeChat Brand Zone: why you need one as a business
Learn more about the Brand Zone: + WeChat Brand Zone: extend your WeChat presence by taking over the first search result
3. As WeChat ecosystem is improving the online shopping, products are becoming more easily discoverable through the search function with the integration of social mechanism
WeChat ecosystem makes it easy to shop online. On top of that, it leverages the power of social mechanism (the core value of WeChat) to amplify this movement.
“recommended products” e-commerce feature in the “Search” section = Social purchase recommendation feed populated by users’ recommendation (that they want to share with their social network) of what they bought or what they want to buy to share.
Recommendations in the feed from e-commerce Mini-Program product data
4. Updates and timeline of the search capability’s evolution within WeChat and the growing opportunity of WeChat SEO
|Date||Features||Source / more details|
|The search feature inside Top Stories(看一看) has added more targeted search categories, and the Top Stories feed can also be refined based on your interests => a move certainly targeting Toutiao 今日头条||Jing Daily|
|– Filtering options allow for different sorting orders|
– Sogou Baike is becoming an important WeChat search
– WeChat’s Brand Zone not only appears at the very top of search results but also contains direct links to the brand’s WeChat Shop and WeChat Official Account (OA)
|January 2018||– Focus on improving the in-app search – focus of 2018 as currently search results are very poor|
– Enable WeChat search to directly display results via WeChat Mini Program integration.
=> Starting to do such integrations with airlines: if you search for a flight number in WeChat Search, it will display the airline Mini Program with the flight current status, boarding gate, arrival and take off time.
|April 2017||Search fonction is enabled by default in the Wechat interface (not need to activate like before)|
|January 2017||Significant improvements of the search fonction in WeChat 6.5.4 release:|
– New user experience
– New filtering options
|September 2013||Tencent invested in Chinese search engine Sogou for a minority share||WSJ|
5. WeChat Index Feature: Assess the search volume of keywords within WeChat – First step of keyword search in a future WeChat SEO strategy
In the WeChat Search Section, you can Search For Popular term trends and keywords on WeChat. WeChat Index could be a game-changer for both marketers and researchers in China.