- Taobao Launches Mini-program to Compete Against WeChat | February 2019 [Walkthechat]
- Short video app Douyin launches mini-program feature | December 2018 [Technode]
- Alipay releases “mini-programs” in response to WeChat | May 2017 [Walkthechat]
- Alipay opens up its mini program to users for beta test | September 2017 [Technode]
- We’ve experimented with Alipay Mini Programs | December 2017 [Medium] =>
- They are 99% identical to WeChat MPs, to a point they have been accused of plagiarization
- They offer a couple unique functions, such as retrieving contacts’ details (down to the phone number!
),and read Sesame credit score. That opens the door to reward high score prospects and clients with exclusive benefits.
- Expect cross-platform development to mature quickly, and allow to develop all Mini Program variants from a single, unified codebase.
|Date||Updates||Source / more details|
|February 2019||Taobao (Alibaba) have started boasting 3rd parties to develop Mini Program on their ecosystem.||WalktheChat|
|January 2019||By Jan 2019, Alibaba released some data about its Mini Program 4 months after launch: |
– 500 million Mini Program users
– 170 million daily active users
– 43% 7-day retention rate
|December 2018||Douyin (Bytedance) launches mini-program feature (only functional on Android)||Technode|
|September 2018||– Public release of Alibaba (Alipay) Mini Programs: access to Zhima Credit Score + 1Bn RMB fund allocated to the new division|
– Private beta of Toutiao Mini Programs > one of the biggest content distribution App in China
|July 2018||Private beta of Baidu Mini Programs > search engine traffic and solid AI toolkit|
|March 2018||9 Chinese phone manufacturers join forces to issue an OS-level light app standard|
|August 2017||Private beta of Alibaba MPs|
|January 2017||Public release of WeChat Mini Programs|
|2015||Google issues the first Progressive Web Apps (PWA) standardization draft|